Simple and delicious appetizer recipe, a bacon lovers dream, 3 ingredients is all you need!
Bacon wrapped water chestnuts make a quick and easy appetizer idea. I love appetizers, I would eat them in place of a meal any day of the week! My mouth waters at the thought of the flavor combinations that appetizers offer, sweet, spicy, salty, and savory YUMMO!
Bacon Wrapped Water Chestnuts
In Hawaii we call appetizers ”pupus” (I know, doesn’t sound appetizing to mainlanders, lol) give me a “pupu platter” and I’m in heaven! I’m also a huge fan of bacon (everything tastes better wrapped in bacon!), that’s one of the reasons I love this recipe so much, besides the fact that it only take 3 ingredients, is so very simple to create, and leaves your guest craving more.
No joke, every time I serve my bacon wrapped water chestnuts, they are the first thing to disappear and every time I ask what I can bring to a get together or a party, the request is always the same.
So I decided to pass this well loved, super simple recipe on to all of you!
What you will need:
1 lb. of bacon (reg or thick, pork or turkey)
1- 8 oz can – whole water chestnuts
brown sugar for sprinkling on top!
pre-heat over to 350
makes approx 30-32 pieces
First you need to cut the chestnuts into smaller pieces, in 1/2 for smaller and 1/3 or 1/4 for larger. Cut bacon strips into 1/3 size pieces just big enough to wrap completely around the water chestnut and overlap a little. (When using thinner bacon you can wrap it around twice)
Line a pan/cookie sheet with parchment paper, roll each piece of water chestnut in bacon and secure with a round, sharp toothpick. Sprinkle each with brown sugar. (can be prepared ahead of time if needed)
Place pan of prepared appetizers into oven and bake at 350 for approx 25-30 mins, or until bacon is done to your liking. When done, remove and let cool a bit, serve warm.
The crunch of the water chestnuts paired with the crispy bacon and sweetness of the brown sugar are such a wonderful flavor combination! These little beauties are sure to be a hit at any gathering or just at home for you and the fam!
- 1 lb. of bacon (reg or thick, pork or turkey)
- 1- 8 oz can – whole water chestnuts
- brown sugar for sprinkling on top!
- toothpicks (round)
- Preheat oven to 350
- Drain water from chestnuts
- Cut bacon strips into 3rds
- Cut water chestnuts in 1/2 or 1/4 size pieces
- Line a pan/cookie sheet with parchment paper
- Roll each piece of water chestnut in bacon and secure with a round, sharp toothpick (When using thinner bacon you can wrap it around twice)
- Sprinkle each with brown sugar
- Place pan of prepared appetizers into oven and bake at 350 for approx 25-30 mins, or until bacon is done to your liking.
- When done, remove and let cool a bit
- Serve warm