Despite my other cookbook reviews that would communicate the contrary – my husband and I actually try to eat pretty healthy. Which is why I was excited to get this book to review – because it has been WAY too long since I had been able to make it to Trader Joe’s. The “I (heart) Trader Joe’s Vegetarian Cookbook by Kris Holechek Peters has 150 recipes that are all vegetarian with options to make them vegan as well.
Even if you are not vegetarian or vegan, this book has great recipes – the recipes that qualify are marked as gluten free. From Banana Cinnamon Rolls to Pumpkin Spice Cobbler – I was excited to try just about every single one of the recipes in the book! Most of the recipes have less than 10 ingredients, so even if you do not have all the ingredients, it is not too hard on the pocketbook to pick them (and of course, you don’t HAVE to purchase them from Trader Joe’s). I think the book has recipes that look really yummy (and even without meat in them!) and I cannot wait to cook my way through this book.
Recipe from the Cookbook
For those of you getting ready for family gatherings coming up this holiday season – I am excited to share with you a recipe for Gingered Bread Pudding.
Bread pudding tends to divide people into two camps: the lovers and the haters. This particular bread pudding, with its moist composition student with chocolate and ginger is sure to break down the walls that divide.
Makes: 10-12 slices
- 4 to 5 cups torn French bread
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup Trader Joe’s Organize Evaporated Cane Juice Sugar
- 2 1/4 cups milk
- 2 inches fresh ginger, peeled and finely gated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped Trader Joe’s candied GingerVegan Option: Replace the eggs with 1/2 cup pureed tofu and replace the milk with non-dairy substitute, increasing the amount to 2 1/3 cups.Preheat the oven to 375F and lightly grease a 9×5-inch loaf pan. Place the torn bread into a large bowl. In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs and sugar until the yolks are broken and the mixture is creamy. Add the milk, fresh ginger, vanilla and cinnamon, and whisk until combined. Pour the egg mixture over the bread and mix well to combine. You want the bread to be soaked through with the liquids. Add the chocolate chips and ginger and gently incorporate. Spread the bread mixture into the prepared pan, pouring any leftover egg mixture from the bowl over the top. Bake until a knife inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean, 55 to 60 minutes Let cool on a cooling rack for at least 30 minutes before serving.
Trader Joe’s is a registered trademark of Trader Joe’s Company and is used here for informational purposes only. The book is independently authored and published and is not affiliated or associated with Trader Joe’s Company in any way.