If you are looking for a last minute recipe to add to your holiday meal, check out this one from Wholly Wholesome. Whether you are vegan, kosher or just interested in Organic and Natural foods, you can find a pie that suits you at www.whollywholesome.com or www.facebook.com/
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 1 Cup Corn Syrup
- 4 Tablespoons Butter
- 3 Eggs (beaten lightly)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 9-inch Wholly Wholesome Pie Shell (White, Whole Wheat, Spelt, Gluten Free)
- 2 Cups broken pecans (broken into small pieces)
- 60 whole pecan halves for the topping
- Combine sugar and syrup in a fry pan over a medium heat for 5 minutes
- Melt butter into mixture
- Set aside to cool (if you're in a rush, put the pan on a bed of ice in the sink)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Once cooled, add eggs, salt and vanilla
- Fill pie shell w/broken pecans
- Pour syrup mixture over pecans until it's just below the rim
- Arrange pecan halves on top starting with the largest pecans around the outside in a circle and using progressively smaller pecan halves as you circles move towards the center. Be sure to save some nice small ones for the center.
- Place on a piece of foil on top of a cookie sheet and place in the oven
- Reduce oven to 350 degrees F. and bake for 50 minutes or until pecans are nicely toasted, but not burnt.