Cheese lovers rejoice! Here is a way to make vegetables absolutely delicious. I originally got this recipe from my friend’s mom. She makes it at every family party of theirs and we all just flip out. Now I make it for my own family and it’s always a huge hit.
Broccoli, Cheese and Rice Casserole Recipe
Rich and cheesy veggie casserole that everyone enjoys. Calls for broccoli, but I like to use a broccoli and cauliflower mix.
- 4 Bags of Frozen Broccoli or Mixed Veggies
- Large block of Velveeta Cheese
- 2 Sticks of Butter
- 2 Rolls of Ritz Crackers
- 2 Cans of Cream of Broccoli Soup
- 1 - 1 1/2 Bags of Uncle Ben's Rice - Boil in Bag (Orange Box)
- Boil rice
- Boil broccoli (or mixed veggies) and drain well
- In a big pot add soup and 1 1/2 - 2 cans of milk (using soup cans)
- Cut cheese into chunks and add to soup mixture until melted
- Add rice to soup mixture
- If it is too soupy add cheese and/or rice - If it's too thick, add milk
- Melt 1 stick of butter and pour over broccoli
- Add broccoli to mixture
- Mix well
- Put into a pan - usually this much can fit into at least 2 different 9 x 13 pans
- Crumble crackers and put on top
- Put into refrigerator overnight
- Next day....
- Melt butter and drizzle over crackers
- Bake at 325 - 350 degrees for 30 minutes
- Let cool for 15 minutes before serving
Since this makes such an enormous batch, it’s great for our huge family gatherings. I have also added chicken to the leftovers to make a nice dinner for Mike and I. You can switch up the veggies and add more or less rice to create variations. In any case, this is definitely NOT a low fat recipe, and very rich. But, it’s darn delicious!
— Jennifer Soltys (@SweepTight) January 22, 2013